An infographic is a graphic way of depicting a story or data in a visually pleasing manner. Usually, they are vertically designed with three or more points of interesting data. Infographics are usually 600 pixels wide and 1800 pixels long. Some people have tried horizontal infographics but mostly they are vertical because that is how people tend to read things on the internet. So, why are infographics so popular,
* We Are Visual Creatures Humans eyes love to see color, movement, and visual material more than they love to see text. Our eyes are drawn to beautiful imagery, and infographics make it easy to provide that eye candy your audience is looking for.
* Technology Makes It Affordable Almost anyone can create lovely graphics and infographics today without professional help. Try using an online app like Piktochart or Canva to make your own infographics.
* We Process Images Faster Than Text Think about road signs. If youre driving down a road and see a sign that indicates falling rocks or slippery when wet, you know exactly what it means in an instant. But, if you have to read the words, these take as long to process as one image.
* Infographics Help Break Up the Information Our senses are constantly being bombarded with information and its hard for our brains to take a moment and digest everything that is thrown at us. An infographic allows your brain to take a break and digest the meaning of something before moving on.
* Readers Skip too Much The truth is, when someone reads your blog posts, theyre likely skipping a lot. People tend to skim vertically on the internet and they miss out on a lot of information that way. If you have something important to convey, providing it in an easy to skim format helps.
* Color Visuals Draw Interest Even adding a picture or two to a blog post increases the amount that is read, so it goes to logic that a post full of images and less text will be read more and understood more than a full-on text blog post.
* It Makes Directions More Understandable Have you ever tried to follow directions in a recipe without images, It can be hard. Thats why cookbooks often come with lots of pictures and images. It helps us follow directions better. An infographic will help your audience comprehend what youre telling them better because even better than pictures is text with pictures.
* Makes Your Information More Trustworthy When people see images with the textual information, they tend to believe it more and think it is more trustworthy than if they just see the text alone.
Infographics are popular for the simple reason is that they work well to spread awareness, get links back to your website, and convey an idea in a way that your audience can understand. If youve never created an infographic, take some time to think of your story and the points you want to get across before you start. Then go for it.
Jay Nisbett is the founder of The 407 Group. During his studies of Real Estate and Entrepreneurship at Florida State University, he was exposed to the scalable effects of digital marketing through his first digital venture, Tails Casual Outfitters. After learning pain points of the digital world, he took to building a platform to get other brands everywhere - The 407 Group was born to help build the local area’s businesses to BE EVERYWHERE they need to be to achieve their success, too, online and offline.